PET POLICIES-YEAH, READ THESE FIRST!
FEES - Most hotels will charge a fee for the pet stay. This varies, and usually for more than one animal or size of the pet, however if you feel it is high or just don't know, call.
I like to find out what the fee is for?? Is it for a unexpected clean-up? Damage? Keeping the room flea free and sanitized? All of the above?
IS IT A PET HOTEL OR...... a hotel with a few designated pet rooms? This will also make a difference in amenities and fees. Designated pet hotels can offer toys, spas, online room monitoring, activities; indoor/outdoor facilities. There really are more options these days!
DO THEY REQUIRE YOU TO CRATE the dog at all times? Are you allowed to keep the dog in the room when you are out?
WHAT IS THE LEASH POLICY ? Some hotels have a mandatory "on leash" policy- everywhere, while others have restricted areas, still others offer leash-free play areas.
ARE YOUR PETS ALLOWED on the furniture? Do they supply covers?
IS THE ENTIRE HOTEL PET FRIENDLY ? Make sure you are on the ground floor. Easier on you and the pet when it's potty time. Elevators can be stressful ( ask for a room away from the elevators too!) and if you are the ground floor, you won't disturb guests below you if play time gets out of hand.
UPON ARRIVAL, DO YOU enter through the front door or is there a pet entrance?
WHERE IS THE DESIGNATED potty area?
IF YOU ARE TRAVELING WITH A CAT, is it okay to place the litter box in the bathroom?
HOLY TURDS! Are You Tired Of All This Yet?
Now, 11 easy ways to make it the the best stay ever !
So you've enter your room! Check for fleas. Seriously, Check for fleas!! Here's one way...
Stand near the bed for a few minutes, really......then go to the curtain area. They will jump on your ankles and calves if they are there--Yep! Also, check out the bathroom for fleas on the floor.
2. Before going out, make sure they are well exercised to ensure a future nap. If they are not crated, keep "chewable items" away.
3. Bring a large sheet or two for muddy paws, excess hair and eating area. Before leaving home, we pull the blankets out of the crates and feed them in there, then we feed them in the crate at hotels. It's a lot easier to clean up that area, then carpet. Works great unless you have a sloppy eater.
4. If you head out without your pet, leave your name and phone number at the front desk just in case your dog is crying or barking.
5. Leave the toilet lid down, it might just look like a brand new water bowl!
We like to take a collapsible travel bowl, for hiking, but for inside a hotel room, it has to be Non-Tippy! We love this one: NoSpill and here's a link for a collapsible Bowl here: TRAVELBOWL
6. Turn the TV or radio on, it tends to soothe and cover up mild whimpering.
7. Don't give your dog a bath in tub, come folks, don't DO IT! There is often a hose or spray station nearby. Bring your own pet bowls, blankets and towels and for goodness sake and don't use the ice bucket for a water bowl.
We bring these Pet Wipes and they work GREAT!
You can get them here: Pogi's Wipes
8. Doo-doo's do happen, bring some extra rags and pet disinfectant, JUST IN CASE and get that deposit $$ back in your pocket.
9. Bring some Pet First Aid supplies. You can purchase a separate one, or we just add some extra items to our travel first aid kit. See this article which includes the contents of our First Aid Kit
We also add extra Vet Tape Wrap , you can buy it HERE: PET TAPE
Don't forget the current medical records. We put them in a plastic bag and add to the first aid kit. Here is an excellent app from the American Red Cross for pet first aid. LINK TO APP
10. Sidewalks and pavements can be hot in the summer, icy in the winter, we always bring PURA Organic Paw Balm for protection or to treat small cuts. WE LOVE IT!! Get it PURA PET CARE
11. Create your pets special place in the room. If they are not used to being crated, play games in and out of the crate before you go. Bring their special toy that they can have in the crate, but avoid things that they could rip apart or choke on, like a rawhide.
So You Want To Move Your Dog To Ecuador?
Boon Lotts Elephant Sanctuary (BLES)- Love And Dedication
The Complete Guide to Canoeing and Kayaking with Dogs
10 Wins For Animals That Prove You Are Making A Difference
Love Horses? Take The Gypsy Vanner Farm Tour- Florida!
Brilliant! Helping Animals, Helping Boquete, Panama